The Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) approved the Benaki Museum’s request to fully cover the repair works and the restoration of the Patrick and Joan Leigh Fermor House as well as the cost of the equipment, so that it can soon start operating as a centre for hospitalities of notable figures from the intellectual and artistic worlds as well as a centre for educational activities in collaboration with Institutions in Greece and abroad.
The Patrick and Joan Leigh Fermor Centre) will provide a space for:
- honorary hosting of notable representatives from the fields of literature, the arts and other fields,
- hosting of researchers for work and research purposes,
- organization of higher-educational activities in collaboration with Universities and institutions in Greece and abroad,
- organization of educational and cultural events for the general public and residents of Kardamyli,
- scheduled tours of the property, focusing on the donors, the history of the house and its use by the Benaki Museum,
- honorary hosting of benefactors and major supporters of the Benaki Museum.
According to the donation contract, the Leigh Fermors granted the Benaki Museum the right to rent the property for 90 days per year in order to secure part of the operational expenses of the Patrick & Joan Leigh Fermor Centre. The Benaki Museum will collaborate with Aria Hotels, for the three month rental period. Under the alliance the museum will ensure the preservation of the house and its contents, and enable members of the public to have access to the property, while Aria Hotels has pledged that it will undertake operation of the property during the rental period with particular sensitivity to its unique legacy. The Benaki Museum - Aria Hotels partnership will be launched in 2020. (Press release).